Thursday 17 September 2009

A baby story...

Here came the little prince.
With eyes so wide and a shriek so loud.
While papa got his new toy,
I was all in joy.

I began counting the hours.
Which rolled into days.
They rolled into sleepless nights.
Which turned to nightmares.

For a hundred days,
nights seemed longer.
Suddenly the prince knew what a night was,
And then seemed to ponder.
He stopped wailing at nights.
And showed his pillow what a slumber was.

Then he took his first flight to the Far east.
Trying to flirt with those mysterious little-eyed ladies.
Little did he know he was just months old.
Yet he gave his little own try.

He started crawling, he stopped his cries.
He started eating, He listened to my prayers..
He climbed, he fell.
He surprised me with the stories he’d tell.
Birthdays came. Gifts showered.
He was just beaming with the cake I ordered.

Here comes the stork again.
This time in pink, or so we thought.
Time for some retail gain.
This time in laces, frocks and a pout.

Then came the surprise
As a second little prince.
Were we surprised, we were more than that.
Lest life moved on, with more joy than that.

Life did move on, this time to the Far West.
Where pizzas, burgers and cheese were declared the best.
Life got busier
Life became a routine.
With shorter pants of the prince
Passing on as inheritance.

Now they wave goodbye.
Off they go to learn life.
Order me what to cook.
Also suggest me how to look.

Five years might be long for some.
But for me, have never been cumbersome.
Cried for a while,
Hated for a second,
But loved every moment of this journey.
Without a thought that’s a second.

This is my baby’s story,
Which goes on and on.
Though they wont be kids anymore,
They’ll always be my babies, Come on !!!



8 comments:

  1. Lovely journey of a young mommy :) Wish with all my heart, its much more beautiful ahead, as you always think !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. touched my heart.. its so beautiful with lovely emotions... keep rocking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shanti : Thanks so much for ur wishes... initially, i thot that this poem is a bit childish... i realize now that it's child-like..and am glad u liked it anyway !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @variant: thanks cri... will do what u said ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Resonating with tender love....it's like you have put words to the feelings of every mom. Love your poems and writings. Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice poem Shanthi...Just loved it !!! Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ratnamala: Yeah, after I read your comment, I felt like I was writing your story too...a mother of two princes :)...Btw, thanks for ur everlasting support...it means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @archana : thanks babes... Will do that :)

    ReplyDelete